Sunday, July 25, 2010

Book Themed Stories



Maybe it’s a writer thing, but I really do get a kick out of books and movies about, well–books. Every time I see the comedy Stranger Than Fiction, I have to chuckle over the lengths Emma Thompson’s character goes to in order to combat writer’s block.

And then, of course, there’s the romance-writing heroine in Romancing the Stone. Not to mention the great bookstore war in You’ve Got Mail (who doesn’t love Meg Ryan’s adorable Shop Around the Corner?).

But I guess it’s only natural that novelists should be drawn to stories about the book world. Stories like Inkheart and The Jane Austen Book Club. Lately I’ve found myself caught up in Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next series (sooo many clever literary references!).

My own little eBook, Only in Novels, centers on the heroine’s efforts to save her financially struggling bookstore. I had tons of fun with that setting, dropping references to my favorite books and authors all throughout the story.

So what about you guys? Do you have a favorite movie or novel that centers on books or writing? Or maybe you find yourself weaving the subject into your own fiction stories. Either way, post a comment and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment